Bravitas is Green
Sustainability is the guiding ethos behind all Bravitas building projects. It permeates every step of the process—planning, construction and management. We believe that supporting environmental consciousness and sustainability is—quite simply—the right thing to do. Building green benefits our environment, our economy, our community, our health and well-being and, most importantly, the world we leave behind for future generations.
All our projects are adaptive reuse of architecturally interesting buildings that have either fallen into disrepair or no longer function well in their current use. We redesign and construct these buildings using the strategies set forth by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) through their LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification program. LEED provides a framework for identifying and implementing green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
One of our buildings was the first in the state of New Jersey to receive Gold LEED certification (2009). Since then we have received Gold LEED certification (2010) and Silver LEED certification (2012) for two other projects. We are also the proud winner of the 2013 NJ Smart Growth Award for Creative Adaptive Reuse. For other awards, see Awards section below.
Each of our buildings includes many, if not most, of the following features:
- Low or no VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) stains, paints, adhesives and sealants
- Energy efficient LED lighting
- Low E argon insulated energy efficient windows
- Use of salvaged and recycled materials (e.g., wood, tile)
- Green, highly efficient insulation
- Super efficient HVAC systems
- Environmentally efficient electrical and plumbing fixtures
- Suites individually metered to encourage energy conservation and accountability
- Reflective roofing materials
- Construction waste recycled
- Electric car charging stations
- Bike racks, showers and changing rooms to encourage biking and walking to work
In recognition of Bravitas’ commitment to sustainability and “building green,” we are proud to have received the following awards:
- NJ Smart Growth Award for Creative Adaptive Reuse (2013)
- Montclair Historic Preservation Award for Excellence in Adaptive Reuse (2013)
- Downtown NJ Excellence, Gold Award for Built Projects (2012)
- The Garden Club of Montclair Award for Renovation with Green Certification – Academy Square (2010) and Hillside Square (2013)